About Us > Early Years
The Early Years Curriculum
The Early Years Foundation Stage is a curriculum for under 5s. We have a copy available at pre-school, but it can also be found on the following website:
The EYFS is divided into 7 areas of learning and development. The ones in pink are the Prime Areas. These and a brief explanation to what your child will experience whilst with us are as followed:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development: Providing experiences that help develop a positive sense of themselves & others; respect for others, social skills and a positive disposition to learn.
- Communication and Language: Support and develop listening skills which are the foundation for literacy; to develop confidence and skills in expressing themselves.
- Mathematics: Provide opportunities to solve problems, match, sort & count; experience numbers in real life; describe shape, space and measure.
- Literacy: Sharing books and other reading materials; linking letters and sounds; encourage writing through mark making.
- Understanding the World: To make sense of the world by using a range of tools safely; encounter creatures, people, plants & objects; and technology.
- Physical Development: Improve skills of co-ordination, control, manipulation & movement – including fine motor i.e. pencil and scissor control, and gross motor i.e. pedalling a trike. Supported to take some risks and understand the importance of exercise and healthy eating.
- Expressive Arts and Design: Exploring ideas and feelings through art, music, movement, dance, imaginative & role play activities, and design and technology.